Monday, February 25, 2008

Sunny Days...

It all started the time Sydney was 8 months old and at her cousin Alexa's house. Alexa had an old "Elmo in Grouchland" movie that she put on one day. Sydney sat on my lap and watched that thing for like 1/2 hour straight. Since then she has developed a cute fascination with Elmo. I would occasionally let her watch the Elmo's world segment of Sesame Street in the months that followed. When Jimmy was home watching her while I was subbing, he would sit Syd in bed with him and let her watch Sesame Street while he tried to catch some more sleep. One night after Jimmy had done this I checked the DVR list on the TV to make sure that I had recorded something. I noticed that Sesame Street had been set to have all the episodes recorded. I asked Jimmy about it and he said that he didn't set it. (I didn't think since I'm pretty sure that he doesn't even know HOW to record anything!) He said that Sydney had been playing with the remote earlier when she was watching Sesame Street. Yes, somehow Sydney actually set the DVR to record all episodes of Sesame Street.

And so now she watches it almost everyday. She will sit very still through almost the entire hour now.


(Nice ribbon in her hair, right? I tied it in her hair earlier when we were playing. She actually left it in for quite a while. I'm sure if I actually wanted her to wear one for real, she would snatch it off the moment after I tied it!)

I can't believe I let my 15-month old watch TV. What kind of mother am I???? So what is everyone's opinion on letting babies watch TV? Not that I am going to turn it off, I am just curious.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you're a bad mother, then I am one too. ;) Elijah loves Blues Clues.

Andrea said...

Oh dear--I must be awful if the definition of a bad mom is one who lets their little kids watch TV. I turned on Baby Einstein shows all the time when Zoie was tiny while I was showering or just trying to accomplish something that I needed her out of the way for. Haven't done that much with Jonas, but the TV is often on since Zoie is watching PBS while I'm showering (or again, just trying to do other stuff). I will do a little plug for the PBS programming though. It's educational. One of Zoie's favorites is Super Why. Helps her recognize letters and words.

Julie said...

No. You're not a bad mother. Sesame street is meant for babies to watch. Otherwise it would go out of business.

Amy said...

I watched TV all the time as a kid and look how I turned out...um, yeah...

Unknown said...

HOW COULD YOU!?!?!

J/K, of course! I actually think that PBS is the sole reason that Lilly knows ALL of the ABC's (I let her watch World World and Super Why almost every day!)...and how else do you think it is that Ben knows there's iron oxide in the Rocky Mountains, or that Ellie knows what 'supervise' means (Word Girl)...I mean, I KNOW my kids are smart, but... ;)

Amy said...

I love Syd's catatonic expression and Rambo hair-do.